Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Being a happy christian: from a view of a taxi driver

So the last few sessions of YM were about being hungry for God and how to be happy christians right?

A little background story:
Just the other day, after a long dry season of not being able to go home early, there came that one chance that i could leave work on time! However, something else cropped up, and that chance flew, really leaving 1 hr later. I was walking to the main road to wait for a taxi, when I saw one at the opposite direction, I was still rather far off from the road, but decided to try flagging anyway, and walk a little bit faster hoping the taxi will stop for me. and it did!
Boarding the cab, I stated my destination, 2 places actually as I was also dropping off some documents for another colleague of mine. The uncle suddenly clapped his hands and exclaimed, YAY! Woah, honestly I was a little shocked, what can he be so happy about right?

Throughout the journey, the uncle was laughing and singing happily. For a person (me) who have gone through a tiring day at work, his behaviour was a ltttle not normal, or rather too hyperactive for my comfort. But nevertheless, we started chatting. And as we were chatting, I noticed a cap on the dashboard, with "Praise the Lord" in front. So the thought that came was, "ok so he is Christian too"

We were in a jam on the road, I guess everyone was going home that day at that time. The uncle said to me, "You know I am really happy you boarded tha cab!" And he went further on to explain.. His first passenger took his taxi from the airport to Pasir Panjang - that makes a good start in his business that day, but so far! Then he picked up a Caucasian lady who wanted to go to Bugis - and he was like YAY! another good journey, he is going back to the east! And then he dropped another girl from Bugis to Selegie. Afterwards, he saw me, and I live in Changi - which means he will be going back to the airport after that!!! And he made a full circle, even though the beginning was uncertain. He proceeded on to say that God really provided for him that day as he was initially thinking how he was ever gonna get back to the airport if his first destination was so far away. But in the end, he decided to trust in the Lord, and just flow according to His way, and indeed truely He provided!

After that whole conversation, he started sharing light hearted jokes of the parliament, of anything under the sun that totally tickled me.. and when I left the cab, I was awake and happy! He talked about his family, and all the time, he keeps praising the Lord for what he has in his life now, and how thankful he is.

It's just a ride home, but throughout the ride, the sessions all came back to me, and it made sense! Only by being happy, looking happy, then other people around you will get affected and will listen to you. If we were grumpy all the time, who wants to talk to you, much less to know anything about you.



Have a great week everyone! (:

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Nice! Thanks for sharing!